Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Organizational Communication

So after watching the Office in class, it made me think about how I talk to individuals from other cultures. When we were talking about race in the workplace, it reminded me of an experience I had this summer. We had a incident at the resort I worked at where one lady got stabbed in the employee lounge for cheating on her boyfriend. Everyone involved in the incident were Hispanic workers. All the Hispanics we worked with were illegal immigrants.  Instead of working with the situation and figuring out what went wrong or even just calling the cops, my manger called the swat team. The swat team came that night and cleared out all the illegal immigrants. I was devastated that a lot of my friends I worked with were gone over night. We were understaffed the rest of the summer I worked there. I still wonder to this day if those individuals were a different race, what would have happened? Would things have been different? Would we still have the staff we did?

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is a crazy day at work, it is so sad that because of race people are judged differently. I think if people thought on a deeper level they would realize that they are people to who have lives. That the decisions of others don't just affect that person but the people around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. I think it's really sad that people can just disregard a serious issue because it has to do with a person's race. It kind of reminds me of people's attitudes when it comes to issues in ghettos or lower income areas with high black or hispanic populations. People in general assume that there will be crime but no one really does anything to stop it or cares to stop and consider how it affects those people's lives personally.

    ReplyDelete