Saturday, March 3, 2012

Comedians and Gender

So upon realizing I hadn't written my blog this week, I was watching one of my favorite comedians, Bo Burnham. He was doing a sketch called "Men and Women" so it was perfect to write on. As he poked fun at women's rights and how naturally men are better... I was laughing, but why? He also made fun of men, but as a man himself, it seemed as he backed off. He is a pretty offensive , but I find that a lot comedians and movies these days are. In this act he says, "Women can fake orgasms, but men can fake love." This at first shocked me, but thought about how sad that really is. Yeah women may fake sometimes, but so do men to get what they want. All genders, male or female, lie to get what they want sometimes. It's great to hear the audience in the background of his acts because there is often a mixture of responses. You hear the claps and laughs, but you also will hear "ohhhh" of maybe offense or even embarrassment for the comedian. I think it's funny at how much we poke fun at our own genders. I think it is such a common thing to make fun of, because everyone can relate to gender somehow. Sometimes it can be offensive, but I find it interesting in a setting where you know there is offensive comedian it is expected. 

I'll post the link to Bo's clip about men and women: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMrgd_iQlbA

No comments:

Post a Comment