Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Introduction

I'm a young, white, heterosexual female studying Speech Communication at Utah State University. I'd like to think that in a world of computer drones controlling the schools, workplaces, and community that I'm more than just that though. I am Caitlyn Lewis, a charismatic carefree young lady that hails from the bustling metropolis known as Idaho Falls, Idaho. I have my own beliefs, values and options and so does every other human that crosses our path in the halls or on the road. I believe strongly in learning everyone's "story." Everyone, men and women alike have their own stories that shape what they believe and why. Without the "story" how can we know where people form their own ideas and beliefs? But if we take that to a larger scale, what is your genders story? Not all women can cook a nine course meal while watching 5 kids but not to mention all while wearing red high heels. But in that same mind frame, not all men love to play football and eat giant stakes with the guys. While the duration of my Gender & Communication course, I will let you into my mind through my eyes.

I believe that as members of a society with many gender differences, we wear blinders. Ignorance is bliss when dealing with issues that seem to have no simple solution. As a child it was a never ending argument with my parents to "do this or go there." My argument always went to me saying, "But David can do it." I never understood why my other brother was able to go and do as he pleased but I was stuck at home on Friday nights. My parents argument always ended in, "We trust you, but we don't trust everyone else out there." As a young girl, I was taught to fear the world while my brother was learning from the world.

With the thought of diversity, the difference of blacks and whites often come to mind but men and women are the most diverse within all cultures. Being aware of gender and communication is a very important start to changing even the way we think and thus the way we will someday teach our children to think. The majority of individuals need to open their minds to change. Not all men with soft hands are bad workers, or women the cooking and cleaning type. You are not your parents or grandparents. You have the right to believe what you want in life and understanding gender if the first step. Before reading this introduction I would be worried to say I'm a feminist, but this showed me that it's not a bad thing. Now I would say, yes I'm a feminist against oppression.

It seems as if gender studies often focus on women though, so I'm glad to read that this book talks about both male and female genders. As much as women are focused on, men don't always get the best rep either. I don't know how many times I've heard guys say, "I apologize for my gender." Change needs to happen within our community and being open is step number one, followed by knowledge.


4 comments:

  1. It sounds like our parents are related! I hated the "we just don't trust everyone else out there" speech. Gag me. I am excited to read your blog I already like your viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm excited to see everyone's viewpoints on this material. I like how you're on top of things in this class. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the opposite problem with my parents. I feel like they are more liberated with me. I have an older brother who isn't as 'traditionally' successful as I am. I'm better in school and have had more employment opportunities and there is some tension in our relationship because I feel like my parents are more limiting with him. They are fine when I want to go abroad for a semester or take a job back east they don't care but they are constantly pushing him to stay in school and finish, get married and start taking care of a family. I don't want to say it's completely unfair its just different. I wonder what it is like on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, that's so funny because my parents can't let me out of their sight. My dad is always begging me to stay in Idaho and go to BYU-I while he wants my brother to move out, get a family and make mini Davids. It is funny how family dynamics can be so different.

    ReplyDelete